1950 – School newspaper started publication, was called Intermountain Educational Activities.
1951 – Name of paper changed to Smoke Signals; had around 300 off-campus subscribers.
1954 – Changed from a five year program to a six year program.
1954-55 – Placement Department began operation (helped find jobs and housing, and did follow-up checks for 3 years after graduation).
1958 – Act of Congress provided preference in hiring individuals with ¼ or more Indian blood at the school.