1971 – Visit by Lehman Brightman, lawsuit filed by National Indian Youth Council students, six IIS students spent two weeks on an exchange in San Francisco. 1,766 students enrolled.
1972 – Lawsuit dismissed, Henry Junior Wilson died at the school.
1974 – School name changed to Intermountain Intertribal School, school riots.
To enroll at Intermountain in the 1970s, students must have:
• 1/4 degree or more of Indian blood.
• Written parental permission.
• Area and agency approval.
• Current social summary and transcript of high school credits.
• Must have reached the age of 14-19 as of October 1 of the year seeking acceptance.
• Student's and guardian's signatures on the Student Code of Conduct and Responsibilities.